A Leading Maritime Attorney
Serving Injured Workers Across The Gulf Coast
Lawrence “Larry” Curtis
Larry Curtis is recognized as one of Louisiana’s preeminent personal injury lawyers. Larry repeatedly has obtained multi-million-dollar settlements and judgements for his firm’s clients. Larry is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum and the Academy of Catastrophic Injury Attorneys. Larry holds the highest rating, AV, given by the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory.
Larry was admitted to the Louisiana bar nearly 30 years ago. Larry is also admitted to practice before the U.S. Supreme Court; U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit; and the U.S. District Court, Eastern, Middle and Western Districts of Louisiana. Larry has also been admitted to practice before the U. S. District Court for the Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas and the U.S District Court for the Western District of Arkansas.
Larry attended St. John's University, in Jamaica, New York (B.A. 1974) and Loyola University School of Law in New Orleans, Louisiana (J.D. 1977). Larry was honored by St. John's University in 1994 with the Alumni Outstanding Achievement Medal. Larry has also been listed in the Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers in the Practice Areas of Admiralty/Maritime Law and Personal Injury.
Larry is a member of the American, Federal and Louisiana State Bar Associations; The Association of Trial Lawyers of America; The Academy of Catastrophic Injury Attorneys; Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association; Lafayette Trial Lawyers Association; Acadiana Inn Of Court (Master of the Bench 1994 — ); The Maritime Law Association of the United States and The Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute.
Larry practices in the areas of maritime personal injury and wrongful death involving offshore drilling rig accidents, supply, utility and crew boat accidents, dredge boat accidents, fishing boat accidents, construction barge accidents, commercial diving accidents, helicopter accidents, as well as accidents involving railroad employees (FELA claims), railroad crossing accidents, and automobile and commercial truck accidents.
Areas of Practice
- Maritime Personal Injury
- Wrongful Death
- Offshore Drilling Rig Accidents
- Supply, Utility and Crew Boat Accidents
- Dredge Boat Accidents
- Fishing Boat Accidents
- Construction Barge Accidents
- Commercial Diving Accidents
- Helicopter Accidents
- Accidents involving Railroad Employees (FELA claims)
- Railroad Crossing Accidents
- Automobile and Commercial Truck Accidents
- Louisiana, 1978
- U.S. Supreme Court, 1988
- U.S. Court of Appeals 5th Circuit, 1979
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Louisiana, 1978
- U.S. District Court Middle District of Louisiana, 1991
- U.S. District Court Western District of Louisiana, 1979
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Texas, 1998
- U.S. District Court Southern District of Texas, 2001
- U.S. District Court Western District of Texas
- U.S. District Court Western District of Arkansas
- Loyola University New Orleans School of Law, New Orleans, Louisiana
- J.D. - 1977
- St. John's University
- B.A. - 1974
- "Plaintiff's Intoxication as Contributory Negligence in Motor Vehicle Death", Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, April 3, 1985
- "Opening Statement for the Plaintiff", Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, November 12, 1988
- "Recent Case Law on Closing Argument", Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, December 1, 1989
- "Pre-Trial Discovery", Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, May 25, 1990
- "A Practical Guide to Federal Court Rules & Procedure in Louisiana", National Business Institute, Inc., October 24, 1995
- "Current Update on Federal Rules of Civil Procedure", Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, December 29, 1995
- Effective Cross Examination of Medical Doctors: The Ten Most Important Questions to Ask, Louisiana Trail Lawyers Association, November 14, 1997
- Direct Examination: Your Client, Your Witness, The Big Picture of Your Case, Louisiana Trail Lawyers Association, October 30, 1998
- Louisiana Code of Civil Procedure, Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, December 16, 1999
- Accident Reconstruction, Car Wrecks II: A Roadmap for Winning Your Case, Louisiana Trial Association, March, 2011
- "Louisiana Procedure", Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, December, 2011
- "The Railroad Crossing Case", Louisiana Trail Lawyers Association, March, 2002
- "Assessing the Case for the Plaintiff, Fundamentals of Civil Litigation", LSU Law Center, April, 2008
- "Maritime Punitive Damages: Catch a Rising Star- Clausen v. Icicle Seafoods Inc.", High Stakes on the High Seas, Louisiana Association for Justice, New Orleans, Louisiana, August 13, 2010
- "Case Wreckers: The ME and Other Defense Experts", Last Chance CLR, and CLE a la Carte, Louisiana Association for Justice, New Orleans, LA, August 13, 2010
- "Maritime and Punitive Damages: The Cutting Edge - Clausen v. Icicle Seafoods, Inc", High Stakes on the High Seas, Louisiana Association for Justice, New Orleans, LA, August 12, 2012
- "Louisiana Appellate Court Decides Important Maritime Jurisdiction Case", Louisiana Advocates, December, 2013
- "Punitive Damages and Attorney's Fees in Maritime and Cure Cases - How to Keep Them", High Stakes on the High Seas, Louisiana Association for Justice, New Orleans, Louisiana, August 14, 2015
- Walker v. Halliburton Services, Inc., 654 So.2d 365, 1995, La. App. 3rd Cir., 1995057186
- Fitch v. Vintage Petroleum, Inc., 652 So.2d 998, 1994, La. App. 3rd Cir., 1994218396
- Miguez v. Southern Pacific Transp. Co., 645 So.2d 1184, 1994, La. App. 3rd Cir., 1994200910
- Wright v. Otis Engineering Corp., 643 So.2d 484, 1994, La. App. 3rd Cir., 1994201025
- Frederick v. Woman's Hospital of Acadiana, 626 So.2d 467, 1993, La. App. 3rd Cir., 1993210982
- Henderson v. Domingue, 626 So.2d 555, 1993, La. App. 3rd Cir., 1993212086
- Arnaud v. Commercial Union Ins. Co., 594 So.2d 992, 1992, La. App. 3rd Cir., 1992042928
- Romero v. Chiles Offshore Corporation, 140 F.R.D. 336, 1992, W.D. La., 1992034473
- Rabeaux v. Aetna Cas. & Sur. Co., 577 So.2d 1214, 1991, La. App. 3rd Cir., 1991077597
- Matter of Talbot Big Foot, 924 F.2d 85, 1991, 5th Cir., 1991031381
- Matter of Talbor Big Foot, 887 F.2d 611, 1989, 5th Cir., 1989148508
- Matter of Talbot Big Foot, 854 F.2d 758, 1988, 5th Cir., 1988109822
- Breaux Bridge Bank & Trust Co. v. Simon, 570 So.2d 156, 1990, La. App. 3rd Cir., 1990162172
- Baugh v. Gulf Air Transport, Inc., 526 So.2d 1239, 1988, La. App. 3rd Cir., 1988047211
- Simon v. Fasig-Tipton Co. of New York, 524 So.2d 788, 1988, La. App. 3rd Cir., 1988017909
- Matter of Richard A. Thalheim, 853 F.2d 383, 1988, 5th Cir., 1988104594
- Lazzell v. Booker Drilling Co., 816 F.2d 196, 1987, 5th Cir., 1987051003
- Moody v. Arabie, 498 So.2d 1081, 1986, La., 1986158557
- Romero v. Mosquito Control Contractors, Inc., 480 So.2d 358, 1985, La. App. 3rd Cir., 1985160626
- Marceaux v. Conoco, Inc. , 124 F .3d 730, 1997, 5th Cir.
- Matter of TT Boat Corp., , WL 223165, 1999, E.D. La.
- Fontenot v. Dual, 179 F. 3rd. 969, 1999, 5th Cir.
- Delcambre v. Blood Systems, 893 So.2d 23, 2005, La
- Boutte v. Fireman's Fund Country Mut. Ins. Co., 930 So. 2d 305, 2006, La. App. 3rd. Cir.
- Fontenot v. Patterson Ins. , 972 So. 2d 401, 2007, La. App. 3rd. Cir.
- Landry v. Apache Corp. , U.S. Dist LEXIS 1754, 2008, W.D. La.
- Litton v. Shell Oil Co., 563 F. 3d 556, 2009, 5th Cir.
- Tobeh v. Brown Water Marine Service, Inc. , U.S. District LEXIS 76834, 2009, W.D. La.
- Capozzi v. Atwood Oceanics, Inc., U.S. District LEXIS 91911, 2009, W.D. La.
- Clausen v. Icicle Seafoods, Inc., A.M.C.793, 2010
- Sepulvado v. Alpha Drilling, LLC, U.S. District LEXIS 78337, 2010, W.D. La.
- Clausen v. Icicle Seafoods, Inc., 174 Wn.2d70; 272P.3d827, 2012
- Richard v. Apache Corp., 111 So.3d 1156, 2013, La. App. 3 Cir.
- Champagne v. Am. Alt. Ins. Corp., 112 So.3d 179, 2013, La.
- Stermer v. Archer-Daniels-Midland Co., 140 So. 3rd 879, 2014, La. 3rd Circuit
- Stermer v. Archer-Daniels-Midland Co., 186 7/3 319, 2016, La. App. 3rd Cir.
- Renfro v. Burlington Northern Santa Fe Railroad Co., 193 So. 3rd 1192, 2016, La. App. 3rd Cir.
Honors and Awards
- Alumni Outstanding Achievement Medal, St. John's University
- Who's Who in American Law
- The Academy of Trial Advocacy
- Louisiana Super Lawyer
- Best Lawyers in America
- Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory, AV Rating
- Martindale-Hubbell Bar Register of Preeminent Lawyers
- Louisiana’s Preeminent Personal Injury Lawyers
- Member, Million Dollar Advocates Forum
Professional Associations and Memberships
- The American Inns of Court of Acadiana, Master of the Bench, 1994
- Louisiana State Bar Association, Member, Sections of Insurance, Negligence and Compensation
- Federal Bar Association, Member
- American Bar Association, Member
- Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, Member, Board of Governors, 1989 to 1991
- Louisiana Trial Lawyers Association, Member, President's Advisory Council, 1987 to 1989
- Lafayette Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- Southeastern Admiralty Law Institute, Member
- Association of Interstate Trucking Lawyers of America
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit, 1985 to Present
- The American Association for Justice, 1978 to Present
- The Louisiana Association for Justice, 1979 to Present
- Parent's Advisory Council, 1987 to 1989
- Academy of Catastrophic Injury Attorneys, Member
- Lafayette Bar Association, 1980 to Present
- Association of Trial Lawyers of America
- Acadiana Inn Of Court, Master of the Bench, 1994
- Maritime Law Association of the United States