Understanding The Jones Act: A Key Protection For Maritime Workers
Chances are, if you’re a maritime worker, you’ve heard of the Jones Act. Whether you work in oil and gas, commercial fishing, dredging, or shipping — and whether you spend most of your time in the deep pockets of the Gulf or in near-shore coastal waters — you know your job comes with risks. It’s the nature of life at sea.
The law recognizes that those who earn their living at sea face many more hazards than land-based workers. It also recognizes that protecting our nation’s maritime workers is critical for a healthy economy. By giving workers the right to sue for negligence, it helps hold employers and ship owners accountable.
What It Means For You
If you were injured on the job — or lost a loved one to a maritime accident — two questions will help shed light on your options:
- Do you qualify for the law’s protections? The Jones Act only covers “seamen.” Whether you qualify depends on the nature of your work and how much time you spend aboard a seagoing vessel.
- Did negligence somehow contribute to your accident or injury? These cases typically center on the carelessness of your employer, a fellow crew member or the vessel’s owner.
Even if you don’t qualify for protections under the Jones Act, you may still be entitled to benefits under the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act.
What You Can Recover
Through a successful Jones Act claim, you may be entitled to compensation such as:
- Reimbursement for accident-related medical bills
- Lost wages, both past and future
- Pain and suffering
- Funeral and burial expenses (in fatal cases)
- Loss of financial support (in fatal cases)
Do You Have A Claim? Call Us For Answers.
Find out whether you have rights under the Jones Act by contacting the maritime law firm of attorney Larry Curtis. We have a wealth of experience handling these claims in state and federal courts. We’ll evaluate your circumstances to provide a ballpark idea of what your claim is worth, taking into account all the ways your life has been affected.
Our lawyer has won millions of dollars in compensation for injured maritime workers, and we’ll bring that same degree of care and attention to your case, too.